PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cities and urbanisation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
The deserts have been changing for as long as anyone can tell, and they will continue to change. The Arabian and African deserts did this as a naturral process, in the US the grasslands have been changed into deserts-in-waiting. Once the mono-culture crops fail, the land will be deserts.
If land has enough rainfall to support corn or soybeans (corn needs 25 inches a year) left fallow long enough it will revert to grassland or forest not desert. Typically farmers that give up on a field plant it to a grass mix that can be hayed or grazed before moving on. The only land that will turn to desert will be irrigated land that was desert to begin with. I have a field that I grew corn on twenty years ago that was thirteen feet high. It now has emergent tree species on it that are eight inches through and thirty feet high mixed in with blackberries that can scratch the eyes of a six foot man.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drought and a big blow could see that topsoil disappear and climate change could make 25 inches of rain a year a long lost memory.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the Sand Hills of Nebraska are actually a desert in waiting.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
A drought and a big blow could see that topsoil disappear and climate change could make 25 inches of rain a year a long lost memory.

Perhaps but more likely it wouldn't go to zero. Say a half reduction to thirteen inches a year and you are still talking wheat production. The problem is if Vermont gets cut thirteen inches a year what is going on in Kansas? Death valley perhaps?
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:

..... The problem is if Vermont gets cut thirteen inches a year what is going on in Kansas? Death valley perhaps?

' Everything's up to date in Kansas City.
They've gone about as far as they can go.....'

emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakarta is sinking...

Quote:
North Jakarta has sunk 2.5m in 10 years and is continuing to sink by as much as 25cm a year in some parts, which is more than double the global average for coastal megacities.

Jakarta is sinking by an average of 1-15cm a year and almost half the city now sits below sea level.

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are predominantly Moslem so it's probably "The Will of Allah!" I wouldn't like to be there when an earthquake or tsunami hits.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Jakarta is sinking...

Quote:
North Jakarta has sunk 2.5m in 10 years and is continuing to sink by as much as 25cm a year in some parts, which is more than double the global average for coastal megacities.

Jakarta is sinking by an average of 1-15cm a year and almost half the city now sits below sea level.

From the said article:

Quote:
None of this has deterred the property developers. More and more luxury apartments dot the North Jakarta skyline regardless of the risks. The head of the advisory council for Indonesia's Association of Housing Development, Eddy Ganefo, says he has urged the government to halt further development here. But, he says, "so long as we can sell apartments, development will continue".

This underlines the totally ****witted response you get when property becomes more "valuable" than human lives.
Reminds me of a scene in Eric the Viking where Hy-Brasil where the Terry Jones character (King Arnulf) denies Hy Brasil is sinking up to the moment it vanishes beneath the waves
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
They are predominantly Moslem so it's probably "The Will of Allah!" I wouldn't like to be there when an earthquake or tsunami hits.

I don't think that is exactly the way the Muslim mindset goes. Only if the Jews or Americans cannot be blamed for any misfortune is it the 'Will of Allah'.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see some evidence of that, but we need to stop any more posts [everyone] that follow that idea. We are here to discuss specific events, changes, preps etc. Once we start saying everyone and they, we are off course and the internet priests will be over this forum like roundup.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potemkin Villager wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

..... The problem is if Vermont gets cut thirteen inches a year what is going on in Kansas? Death valley perhaps?

' Everything's up to date in Kansas City.
They've gone about as far as they can go.....'
Very Happy Cool Smile
Back in their school days one of my daughters was in a high school production of "Oklahoma" with my wife making about half of the girls costumes.
Don't forget the "sky scraper ten stories high".
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
I can see some evidence of that, but we need to stop any more posts [everyone] that follow that idea. We are here to discuss specific events, changes, preps etc. Once we start saying everyone and they, we are off course and the internet priests will be over this forum like roundup.

I agree, and it is a particularly poor example to set when the original deviation came from a “moderator”. In this case the term seems to be a bit of an oxymoron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: