PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KFCs closed First sign of apocalypse?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: KFCs closed First sign of apocalypse? Reply with quote

How is everybody doing with the neighborhood KFC closed due to a chicken delivery problem? It doesn't surprise me as the ones here in the USA are often mismanaged and I usually avoid them. Somebody on your side is making bad decisions and needs to be demoted back to floor mopping and trash bin emptying. Smile
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/20/kfc-was-warned-about-switching-uk-delivery-contractor-union-says
Or is it the first sign of the beginning of the end?
Little John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sign of the times. That is to say, as margins get ever tighter, more and more corners end up being cut. In turn, raising the likelihood of systemic failures.

So yes, it is the beginning of the end. But, it could be a very long, drawn out process.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the wicked uncaring police DO NOT CARE about this developing humanitarian crisis.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43140836

How could they be so heartless, babies in Peckham could die without KFC. At the very least there should be an emergency public information line to help families cope with this crisis. "would chicken Mcnuggetts be suitable for my baby" Parents need to know.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought in the UK it would be a shortage of fish & chips at the Pubs that would be the first crisis, not some American fast food transplant.
But as long as your not out of Guinness I suppose you can carry on.
careful_eugene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
I would have thought in the UK it would be a shortage of fish & chips at the Pubs that would be the first crisis, not some American fast food transplant.
But as long as your not out of Guinness I suppose you can carry on.

I think you're confusing English & Irish, a shortage of Guinness here wouldn't be an issue but a shortage of bitter or lager might be.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Guinness is fairly popular here in England, but lager or bitter are more popular, Guinness is indeed more popular in both the Irish republic and in Northern Ireland.
Whilst a shortage of fish and chips would upset some people, I suspect that it is far less popular than in the past.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of looking at it:

News Thump: UK life expectancy jumps as KFC forced to close for 24 hours Very Happy
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently heard the BBC's The Global Farm - about global food logistics. Pretty scary stuff if you don't have complete faith in robustness of global logistics. Also - I had no idea those 'fresh' supermarket grapes are some 40 days old!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09s8cwq
Mr. Fox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This came up on my BBC Local News page the other day... it's the lower two (unrelated) items that I thought went well together:

vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that Guinness is Irish , I just didn't know what the most popular English lager or Bitters brew was called.
A collage town pub near me has an Irish theme and serves a great fish and chips plus a good stew and pot pies. We go over on occasion for the trivia nights. Our team name is" Flannel man and his Ladies.".
Won the whole thing one night by knowing they nuked Bikini atoll in the 1950s.
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron's bitter, north of Whitby

vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to give it a try if I ever get across the pond. With 56 micro breweries in Vermont one of them must be doing some British recipes. Perhaps I can score the equivalent here. Laughing
fuzzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongarm is not bad for North East beer. I grew up near Newcastle and the beer of my youth was truly dreadful [Scottish and Newcastle] with very little choice. Now I am on the Welsh border we are surrounded by amazing beer and cider makers. Just a shame it's 30 miles to buy any big ticket items. I have just come in from a walk and my legs are like jellly:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=338420&y=283340&z=115&sv=338420,283340&st=4&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=s.srf&dn=806&ax=343500&ay=282500&lm=0
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
Strongarm is not bad for North East beer. I grew up near Newcastle and the beer of my youth was truly dreadful [Scottish and Newcastle] with very little choice. Now I am on the Welsh border we are surrounded by amazing beer and cider makers. Just a shame it's 30 miles to buy any big ticket items. I have just come in from a walk and my legs are like jellly:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=338420&y=283340&z=115&sv=338420,283340&st=4&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=s.srf&dn=806&ax=343500&ay=282500&lm=0

Wow fuzzy some pretty steep hills there! Perry Gutter sounds like it has somthing to do with lots of rain. I seem to remember that Strongarm can have some pretty strong effects on your digestive system!
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh aye. If someone has been on the Strongarm big-time the night before and hits the bathroom before you in the morning - it pays to give it half an hour before you go in after them.

Last edited by Little John on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: