PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme prep ? nuclear bunker.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bunker to which I refer in the O/P was not purchased recently, the land complete with bunker was purchased some years ago.
Only recently has the owner decided to restore it to use as a bunker, in case of any future emergency.

It has been cleared of rubbish and junk, deep cleaned, repainted, and re equipped.
A forced air supply system, with filters to remove fall out is at the planning stage. Even without a filtered air supply, the simple fact of being well below ground level is said to reduce the radiation dose to about one five-hundredth of that received outside.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update time.
Work complete, forced air supply blower installed to provide filtered air. This consumes 2 amps from the battery so with the present battery capacity run time is limited to about 6 days.

Lighting is mainly by LED bulbs, with incandescent bulbs as a backup, and candles as a last resort.

Water and food stocks increased so as to last for a couple of months, It is not proposed to remain below ground 24/7 for more than 2 weeks.
Radiation is however a cumulative danger, so after about 2 weeks it might be prudent to rest and sleep below ground even if brief forays to the surface carried an acceptable radiation risk.

For simple and very safe low level lighting with no battery drain whatsoever, a large supply of Cyalume lightsticks have been stored.

The owners have stayed in the bunker for several days, as a test and found it more comfortable than expected.
I wish that I had a bunker !
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrel wrote:
We have one of those ROC posts just down the road from us. I don't think it's in very good condition though. I understand they were all built to a fairly standard design. The main task was to plot fallout patterns I believe.

This may seem a bit paranoid and "out there", but there have been several occasions in the last few months when my thoughts have turned to making preparations for nuclear attack. We are in a fairly good starting position; the two nearest conceivable targets are 25 and 35 miles away respectively. Any others are much further.

Preps envisaged would consist of:
- white painted plywood sheets attached outside of windows to protect interiors from fire due to heat flash and to protect the glass.
- we have identified one room as the "shelter room" which is partly below street level. The house has two-foot thick stone walls.
- we would build an inner refuge in this room, seal the room to airtight and make use of a home-made, filtered bellows-style air pump.
- usual preps of food, plus water for at least a month in the refuge with us.

These preparations are unobtrusive, inexpensive and have no impact on our daily lives, so easy to do for us.

Very sensible, IMO, whilst I am not aware of any recent or specific threat increases It does seem prudent to prepare for an entirely foreseeable event.
Gas masks might be a prudent addition, both in case of accident or attack involving toxic gases or vapours, and to give some protection against inhaling fallout particles.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potassium iodide for the 1st 2 weeks radiation is the big one. Very little as it's toxic. I believe about 1 salt grain to a mug of water - but check.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth asking the question as to whether, in the case that you needed a nuclear bunker to survive, you'd want to survive.

I'm more interested in a 'storm shelter', something to hunker down in whilst the Cat 3+ storm passed over. Or, thinking nuclear, some kind of shelter to reduce exposure to contamination following a (Chernobyl style) civil nuclear accident.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I think it's worth asking the question as to whether, in the case that you needed a nuclear bunker to survive, you'd want to survive.

I'm more interested in a 'storm shelter', something to hunker down in whilst the Cat 3+ storm passed over. Or, thinking nuclear, some kind of shelter to reduce exposure to contamination following a (Chernobyl style) civil nuclear accident.

That is a question with a lot of layers to it. I think the answer is yes even at my age. I might be used as a sponge to go out foraging to keep the younger survivors as radiation free as possible but even that small effort is better then just giving up.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree with that V.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:

An all out nuclear war is probably not worth trying to survive, unless in an already very remote and therefore less dangerous location.
I am thinking more of a rogue state or terrorist group using a very few nuclear weapons, or even just one.
Or of course a civilian nuclear accident as you point out.
That is worth surviving unless one was unlucky enough to be close to the explosion or accident.
One must remember that radiation damage is cumulative, or put another way, the number of hours for which one is exposed is just as important as the dose rate per hour.

A dose rate of ten times normal is not that dangerous in the short term, but the risk adds up hour by hour. At an outdoor dose rate of ten times normal, I would remain in a shelter if possible for most of the day but would consider brief forays to the outside to be an acceptable risk.
At an outdoor dose rate of twice normal, I would prefer to sleep in a shelter but would consider normal daytime activities to be acceptable.

As a very crude guide, being inside a typical house reduces the received dose rate to about one tenth of that received outdoors.
A deep concrete basement reduces the received dose to about one hundredth of that received on the surface.
A basic but purpose designed fallout shelter reduces the dose to about one thousandth of that received on the surface.
A good quality purpose built shelter, with filtered air supply, decontamination showers and other facilities can reduce the dose to one ten-thousandth of that on the surface.
Standards of construction vary a great deal, as do other circumstances so no great accuracy can be claimed, but the above gives basic guidance.

And of course most designs of fallout shelter will also give some protection against extreme storms, or conventional explosions, and some other hazards.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where we could do with a "like" button.

"Thumbs up" Vt!
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew of someone locally who built a house with a nuclear hardened cellar during the cold war. Both he and the person who later bought the house are now dead. As it turned out a waste of money.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
I knew of someone locally who built a house with a nuclear hardened cellar during the cold war. Both he and the person who later bought the house are now dead. As it turned out a waste of money.

No more of a waste than is money spent on fire insurance if you do not suffer from a fire.
And presuming that the facility still exists then it MAY have increased the value of the property and thereby benefited the heirs of the late owner.

I know of someone actively seeking to buy a home with a fallout shelter.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a house with a fall-out shelter.

It's less than 4 minutes away if I run (I've timed it).
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cellar isn't exactly a fall out shelter but could provide, with a few quick, minor additions to the entrances, shelter from the blast from a distant meteor strike.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bunker, of the same design has recently sold at auction for £23,000, appreciably higher than the price estimated by the auctioneers.
A friend was one of the unsuccessful bidders, rather to his surprise. He was confident of securing it within his budget of £20,000.
He was unwilling to go higher than that as he believes that he can build a new and arguably better bunker for about that much.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fully equipped nuclear bunker, in fact six of them, not a quarter of a mile away from me. It's called the Greenham Common missile base. About a mile away is another shelter which was the command post. The command post is pretty much functional, as far as I know, but the missile bunkers were stripped of all their hydraulics and power systems so it is rather difficult to raise the 60 tonne doors from their current horizontal position!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: