PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets have a low impact Christmas !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Lets have a low impact Christmas ! Reply with quote

Seasonal energy saving suggestions.

1) Christmas lights if given significant use should be LED in the interest of energy saving, the difference is very considerable.
200 old fashioned lights could be 200 watts or more, but a similar number of LED lights are 10 watts or less.

2) Dont overdo the heating ! The heat input from cooking, extra lighting, candles, and the body heat of numerous visitors can be significant and should be anticipated by reducing heating levels rather than waiting until it is too hot and then opening the windows.

3) Minimise the use of disposable batteries for kids toys or christmas lighting. Consider rechargeables, mains adaptors or non electric alternatives.

4) Avoid food waste. An appalling amount of food is wasted in the festive season by over shopping for perishables, and by preparing too much "just in case"
For a traditional Christmas meal, try and prepare about 150% of the expected consumption of food, that relatively modest level of leftovers is easily eaten the next day. In case it is all eaten by hungrier or more numerous guests than expected, have something non perishable in reserve for subsequent days.

5) minimise non-reusable wrapping materials.

6) If you have a real Christmas tree, either recycle it or if you have a wood stove, cut it up for kindling. If neighbours have a real tree and no stove, offer to dispose of it after Christmas.

7) Do keep reusable decorations for subsequent years, a suprising number of people discard it all and buy new each year.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8) Fck Christmas. If you want to celebrate, then celebrate the solstice, it's more significant.
JohnB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan for Christmas is to redo the bed and library end of my tiny home, to add a few extra functions to it. Then I can insulate and finish the partition wall. This will involve extra electricity consumption to charge my drill/driver a few times, and maybe running the circular saw for a few minutes, but the insulation should help to reduce it for the rest of the winter. I may cook a Christmas dinner sometime, but it will probably be a day or two late.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to re-visit this old thread I thought.

Christmas tends to be a time for partying, gift giving and celebrations even among those who are not practising Christians.

Do please think of both the wider environment, and of the less fortunate in society.

When buying gifts for friends or family, try to think perhaps of gifts that are useful rather than merely ornamental.
Bottles of spirits keep forever and make good gifts as they may be consumed, or stored against future needs.
Perishable food or drink is not so suitable due to the risk of waste.

Candles are a traditional gift, and keep well, they may be used over the festive season or stored against an uncertain future.

If you have friends or relatives who have fallen on hard times, don't be afraid to give rather utilitarian gifts of things that they might not be able to afford. Suggestions could include
A warm overcoat.
Thick pullovers.
A decent duvet.
A couple of blankets.
Firewood, if they have a stove.
Or even a few packs of loft insulation.

So far as possible, in such circumstances, consider gifts of long term utility rather than things quickly consumed.

And for your own celebrations please don't overdo the heating and other fuel use.
Think twice about use of incandescent Christmas lights.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Cool F�ck Christmas. .

That' s how I felt a while ago. My sister in law was planning for Christmas Day and the subject was on what to have for a starter. We'd had a really good crop of beetroots that year so I suggested beetroot soup only to be scolded and lectured as to how " you don't have beetroot soup for Christmas ", not the done thing...
Still if anyone needs something for the house , something "everyday" but frankly has more money than sense pop over to tiffanys ,
http://www.tiffany.com/search/Everyday-Objects/everyday-objects/sort-relevance-search?trackbgfm=pdp
Seriously check out the tin can and the drinking straw amongst others Shocked
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Cool F�ck Christmas.

Best thing to do with it.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
Cool F�ck Christmas. .

That' s how I felt a while ago. My sister in law was planning for Christmas Day and the subject was on what to have for a starter. We'd had a really good crop of beetroots that year so I suggested beetroot soup only to be scolded and lectured as to how " you don't have beetroot soup for Christmas ", not the done thing...

I've made Cranks' recipe borscht ever since we bought their recipe book back in the nineties and it's a highly impressive soup to present, a real jewel for any celebratory dinner. Cranks called it 'dramatic' and it is so.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a new battery for the daughter's car so I don't have to repeatedly roll out of bed to give her a jump start on cold mornings? Smile I'll stick a red ribbon bow on the hood of her car when I install it tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: