PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Humanure - Should we? Could we? Would we?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man/woman, woodburner. Let us know how your project progresses.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, got the seat. OK, so I'm fussy, could have used a cheapo plastic one, but this cost 15 + VAT from Plumb Center. Described as "Ash seat", there's a choice of pine, mahogany,or oak. So I picked the oak one as that was nearest. Surprise, surprise, it's ash. I think they are all ash, and there's a choice of stains. Anyway they're solid wood, with properly keyed joints between the strips, so they should last a while.

Next is the bucket. As is usual in the UK, we seem to have the lowest quality at the highest price. These are what I'd like to get, these are the usual style (note: "economy") in the UK and priced in the States at less than $3.50. This is what's offered over here. Too high spec as I doubt I need "food" grade. I did see some of the "economy" style here for around 3.80, which is irritating when they are available in the States for that in dollars, I suppose thats about the norm.

Does anyone have a link to the well engineered ones at a reasonable price in the UK?

Update: Seems suppliers generally sting you for the lid at additional cost. Evil or Very Mad
Keela

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were lucky- we got the blue ones as cast offs. They had no lids though.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cast offs sounds just right. What were they originally used for?
emordnilap

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the 'economy' ones, woodburner.

We happened to have a bucket with the handle attached 10 or 12 cms down from the top, so it doesn't interfere with the hole in the box, which yours might, going by that picture, woodburner. The hole was cut exactly to size so the bucket lip protrudes (I typed proturds first) and the toilet seat sits precisely on the bucket rim while still using the plastic bumpers.

Quite pleased with it really, it feels as solid as a properly-fitted ceramic job.

I've seen the same buckets in our local farm wares shop containing tractor oil. I'm trying to find out who buys that brand to get her/his cast-offs.
Keela

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
Cast offs sounds just right. What were they originally used for?

Apparently they are standard American 5 US gallon pails. They were used for potassium permanganate. I don't know why the lids were lost - I think they were chucked on opening!

The potassium permanganate was used for odour control for sewage sludge. Apparently it was supplied to the water service in the buckets and the buckets were returned.

And then we got them as OH works for the supplying company. Not sure many come through the system though.

We have about 6 in total.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT. What's the difference between a bucket and a pail, other than that buckets beat pails about 10 to 1 on Google results?
Keela

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno Bif.... I just typed what he said! Confused Cool Laughing
woodburner

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
OT. What's the difference between a bucket and a pail, other than that buckets beat pails about 10 to 1 on Google results?

What's the difference between wood and timber? Cars and automobiles? Goldfish and mountain goats? Ah!, now I know one mucks about on fountains ........ Laughing
woodburner

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Go for the 'economy' ones, woodburner.

We happened to have a bucket with the handle attached 10 or 12 cms down from the top, so it doesn't interfere with the hole in the box, which yours might,
I've seen the same buckets in our local farm wares shop containing tractor oil. I'm trying to find out who buys that brand to get her/his cast-offs.

Trouble is I can't find the type with the low set handle, and I can't wait much longer, I'll just have to use the WC again. Shocked
JohnB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertaining discussion in the Grauniad:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2009/nov/20/composting-human-waste?showallcomments=true

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
JohnB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's made Time Magazine now!
Quote:
For a well over a decade, 57-year-old roofer and writer Joseph Jenkins has been advocating that we flush our toilets down the drain and put a bucket in the bathroom instead. When each bucket in his five bathrooms is full, he empties it in the compost pile in his backyard in rural Pennsylvania. Eventually he takes the resulting soil and spreads it over his vegetable garden as fertilizer.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1945764,00.html

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humanure production, alive and kicking in Haiti

Quote:
The mission of Sustainable Organic Integrated Livelihoods (SOIL) is to promote dignity, health, and sustainable livelihoods through the transformation of wastes into resources.

Quote:
SOIL primarily focuses on promoting the use of ecological sanitation (EcoSan), a process by which human wastes are converted into valuable compost.

BTW, our humanure system will have been in use (or, will have been evolving to its present ease of use) in ten years come next June. Some visitors have specifically asked to use it, others wouldn't go near it.

Think of the amount of water and electricity saved during those ten years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: