PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London mayor seeks ban on woodstoves.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: London mayor seeks ban on woodstoves. Reply with quote

Only in certain "very small areas" though knowing how these things work, I would expect the controls to steadily become more onerous.

A cynic like me suspects that this more a dislike of the type of people who favour stoves, rather than concern for air quality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41439268
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My house has two wood burners, a traditional one we don't use and a modern 'clean burning' one with pre-heated air that is intended to raise the burn temperature and reduce emissions.

I would say that it works well under ideal conditions

1. The wood is well seasoned
2. The wood is stacked correctly and brought up to temperature quickly when lit
3. The stove is operated correctly - put small amounts of wood on frequently and burnt fast.

Wood stoves are not a light and forget technology like central heating, and taking shortcuts will increase particulate emissions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: