PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chill!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is continually advertising to me the things which I have just bought!! Do they hope that I might like another widgit just in case the one just bought breaks in the next few days. If it did would I actually be daft enough to buy the same again. Some people must be, I suppose!

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians

Last edited by kenneal - lagger on Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Firefox, install the following extensions:

Privacy Badger
Adblock plus

This will cause most, though not all, adverts to be blocked as well as making it more difficult for the likes of Facebook to track and trace your consuming habits.

If you want to belt and brace your online activity, install a VPN as well. this will make it (in principle) impossible for your ISP to know your browsing habits.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adblocker ultimate works great on opera. Most pages load instantly, when they aren't waiting for spam. Depressing how the newspapers etc cry if you don't load their ads. As if seeing adverts you don't want is going to generate sales??
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing ads you don't want generates sales for the ad carriers. No wonder they cry if you block them.

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was writing the Year-Long Lunch Break I often saw ads for the things I was railing against. You don't know whether to laugh or cry...
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
When I was writing the Year-Long Lunch Break I often saw ads for the things I was railing against. You don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Monbiot has several articles related to that problem, such as this and the ethical dilemma it presents for conscientious thinkers.

You have to fight advertising, constantly.

Turn it off at every opportunity and tell others to do so. Get rid of the tv. Install adblockers on computers. Train your eyes to avoid adverts. Pity/ridicule those who are taken in by advertising. Refuse/remove logos. Turn bags inside out. Etc etc.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent piece by Monbiot there. A man who is totally aware of his own whoring lifestyle. The gruaniad is ground zero for the BS middle class. I remember ~40 yrs ago being astonished how the eco warriors standard bearer was trying to flog stupid sized cars and endless wasteful spending to readers with surplus income.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
An excellent piece by Monbiot there. A man who is totally aware of his own whoring lifestyle. The gruaniad is ground zero for the BS middle class. I remember ~40 yrs ago being astonished how the eco warriors standard bearer was trying to flog stupid sized cars and endless wasteful spending to readers with surplus income.

He has a whole section on advertising. Some fascinating thoughts and links in there.

Quote:
Worldly ambition, material aspiration, perpetual growth: these are a formula for mass unhappiness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Climate Change All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: