PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Parliamentary report on the limits to growth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: New Parliamentary report on the limits to growth Reply with quote

https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/parliamentary-group-warns-that-global-fossil-fuels-could-peak-in-less-than-10-years-f0400914ed96

Quote:
A report commissioned on behalf of a cross-party group of British MPs authored by a former UK government advisor, the first of its kind, says that industrial civilisation is currently on track to experience “an eventual collapse of production and living standards” in the next few decades if business-as-usual continues.

The report published by the new All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Limits to Growth, which launched in the House of Commons on Tuesday evening, reviews the scientific merits of a controversial 1972 model by a team of MIT scientists, which forecasted a possible collapse of civilisation due to resource depletion.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Club of Rome were not wrong in principle, but obviously there are questions of timing. It is only really improvements in PV that can mitigate this in the medium to long term.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Little John. Interesting. Fúck May and Corbyn. Tim Jackson for PM.

“an eventual collapse of production and living standards”

?

More like "an eventual shortage of toys for the masses".

It is perfectly easy - and can be hugely enjoyable - to live with minimal fossil fuel use. Very little 'alternative technology' is required.

What is required is the reining-in of the power of money and those who have the most.

Quote:
The world has just 6 years left to “completely decarbonise the economy” and thereby avoid a rise in global average temperatures of 1.5 degrees Celsius

Ha! Fat chance.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.

Last edited by emordnilap on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the continuing increase in the use of glyphosate, an ecological collapse is also a possibility.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be argued that, after 8 years of virtually 0% interest rates, economic growth, as previously understood, is now dead:

Quote:
Consider 0% and near-zero interest rates to be the economic equivalent of a defibrillator: the most-extreme, last-resort attempt to “stimulate” the human body when it is near death.

Our economies have had this economic defibrillator attached to them for more than eight years – without the slightest glimmer of life. What would happen to a human body if it was defibrillated continuously for more than eight years? Charred meat. This is what Western economies have become: charred meat.

Jeff Neilson: The Great Western Economic Depression
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2013/dec/23/british-petroleum-geologist-peak-oil-break-economy-recession

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267751719_Is_Global_Collapse_Imminent_An_Updated_Comparison_of_The_Limits_to_Growth_with_Historical_Data

Two good articles on the current state of play with oil.

I've just been discussing with my friend (who has read Greer) who thinks that there won't be a energy crisis looming because of advances in renewable's. Is he right?

Personally, I think the unconventional tight oil boom in America has merely postponed the inevitable.

What do the rest of you think?
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Beria3 wrote:

I've just been discussing with my friend (who has read Greer) who thinks that there won't be a energy crisis looming because of advances in renewable's. Is he right?

Nope. I posted this on another thread but is equally prevalent to this one:

Prof Steve Keen: The Role of Energy in Production

Given the gargantuan amounts of debt that have been accrued by energy companies - often used to unproductively buy back company shares rather than R & D - then any significant interest rate rise will cause severe financial distress. They are struggling as it is with oil prices stubbornly staying below $60 a barrel as they are not breaking even.

Big Oil is on the road to ruin - in more ways than one - and they are architects of their own downfall.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberry-blower wrote:
Lord Beria3 wrote:

Nope. I posted this on another thread but is equally prevalent to this one:

Prof Steve Keen: The Role of Energy in Production

Given the gargantuan amounts of debt that have been accrued by energy companies - often used to unproductively buy back company shares rather than R & D - then any significant interest rate rise will cause severe financial distress. They are struggling as it is with oil prices stubbornly staying below $60 a barrel as they are not breaking even.

Big Oil is on the road to ruin - in more ways than one - and they are architects of their own downfall.

When I actually go to the financial reports of the majors I fail to see this gargantuan debt. BP , XOM and RDS have a positive net worth of 376 billion dollars. The smaller drilling companies out in the oil patch maybe in hock to their eyeballs but the big boys are not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: