PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What guns to buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring is coming and with it the first days where it is comfortable to shoot on a range or pursue varmints. It's snowing here tonight again but spring is not far off.
I saw a nice big fox on my drive home tonight, he looked in excellent condition. Got me thinking about some long range shooting.
I've been thinking about spending a bit of time at my loading bench and working up a few rounds for deer hunting next fall plus some lighter faster ones to harass the woodchucks and foxes with.
For deer I think I'll go with my 7x57 Mauser (275 Rigby to you Brits) loaded with 175 grain spirepoints over a load of IMR 4350 for a muzzle velocity of between 2500 and 2600 fps. If I sight those in to be four inches high at 150 yards they will be dead on at 250 yards and only 4.5 inches low at 300 yards. Plus or minus four inches on a deer's chest is no problem.
For the small game, crows , wood chucks etc. I think I'll load up some 120 grain lightly constructed bullets to 3000 fps and sight the Ruger in for 200 yards which will keep flight path withing two inches plus or minus out to about 225 yards and only be eight inches low at 300 yards which is less then the height of a wood chuck sitting up on his mound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: