PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood Pellets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Wood Pellets Reply with quote

Trouble at source

https://www.foe.co.uk/blog/our-forests-arent-fuel-why-10000-americans-are-writing-ed-davey

Quote:
Adam Macon - campaigns director of the American NGO Dogwood Alliance - is asking UK Energy minister Ed Davey to stop subsidising the destruction of US forests.

The vast forests in the Southern United States are some of the most biodiverse and important ecosystems in the world. Our Southern forests have the highest concentration of tree species diversity in North America and the highest concentration of aquatic diversity in the continental US, including the richest temperate freshwater ecosystem in the world.

The precious remaining coastal wetlands and bottomland hardwood regions that span from coastal Virginia to Mississippi and Louisiana, contain rare forest types and unique carnivorous plants like the Venus flytrap and pitcher plants. They also provide local communities with areas to recreate and experience the natural world.

Yet despite the numerous environmental and economic benefits standing forests provide to communities across the US South, these critical forest habitats are increasingly being destroyed, processed into wood pellets, and shipped to the UK to be burned for electricity. The demand for wood as a fuel source in the United Kingdom is driving the expansion of wood pellet manufacturing and export in the Southern US.

With 20 existing wood pellet facilities and 33 proposed, the threat is something that individuals and communities across the US South cannot ignore. Itís crucial that we show UK and EU policy makers that the biomass industry is bad for our environment, our communities, and our climate.

Large-scale burning of wood pellets is not a solution to climate change or feasible alternative to coal. Mounting scientific research (even by the UKís very own Department of Energy and Climate Change) shows that burning wood pellets manufactured from trees will increase near-term carbon emission and accelerate climate change. Yet, DECC and Ed Davey continue to heavily subsidize this industry and therefore the destruction of our forests.

biffvernon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got a pellet boiler? Or thought about it but decided not to?
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this anything to do with it?
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Anybody got a pellet boiler? Or thought about it but decided not to?

Yes, I thought about it and decided no. However, my decision wasn't based on forest destruction ( I didn't know about it ) but on the variable quality of pellets and reported unreliability of the boilers, plus the fact that after the crash nobody will be making pellets any more whereas I can cut logs myself.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about gaming the system - taking the RHI payments for 7 years? You don't actually have to burn any pellets as the heat isn't metered.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people in this country recreate in bed not a forest!

Biomass and biofuels such a palm oil are the biggest pot of greenwash that anyone has ever devised. The government advisers who rubber stamp these policies should be taken out and shot as ecoterrorists.

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
ericgarmin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a wood pellet boiler but modernisation of my house was needed. Went for a combi boiler in the end.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericgarmin wrote:
I used to have a wood pellet boiler but modernisation of my house was needed. Went for a combi boiler in the end.

Goody!! I make quite a bit looking after and fixing combi boilers. The only thing nearer to the work of the devil is Saniflo turd mincers.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has (assisting my father) worked on rewiring various properties. I wouldn't mind doing combi boilers, but saniflo is something I would dearly like to avoid.

There must be something between combi boilers and saniflo. If only general plumbing work (on the shitty end)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: