PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you want a Tilley lamp, buy now

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: If you want a Tilley lamp, buy now Reply with quote

For bright, non electric lighting it is difficult to beat a Tilley lamp.
They are a bit of a fiddle for those unused to them but give a lot of light and warmth at modest running cost.
They are one of the few non electric lights to permit of comfortable reading.

If you want one, or more, then I suggest buying now.
I suspect that production has ceased. Officially new lamps are "temporarily out of stock" But I understand that a supplier or subcontractor that make a major component of the lamps have ceased trading. If no replacement supplier can be found ?

Demand for these lamps has been falling for some years and the range has been reduced to only the storm lantern. Table lamps, indoor and outdoor suspension lamps, and floodlights all ceased production years ago.
The railway industry were the last large user of the storm lanterns, but do not use them much, if at all these days.

It would therefore be advisable to purchase now, new lamps MIGHT still be available from stockists, and used ones are plentiful on fleabay, though of variable quality.
Stock spare parts as well !
Mantles, cost about 1 each in bulk and last several hundred hours.
Vapourisers cost about 20 and last at least 1,000 hours.
Glasses cost about 20 and last until you break it !
Seals and washers are cheap if bought as a set or in bulk, and should be readily available in future as they are made by third parties.
cubes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my father having one of these. Takes me back!

Wonder if it's tucked away in the back of my garage somewhere, I'll have to take a look at the weekend.
Snail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see these all the time in general auctions.

I have a gas lantern which gives off a good amount of heat+light too.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snail wrote:
You see these all the time in general auctions.

I have a gas lantern which gives off a good amount of heat+light too.

True, Tilley lamps do regularly turn up in local auctions, and also in car boot sales and so on. I can not recommend that a novice buys a second hand lamp from such a source, It is unlikely to work properly first time and may need a number of replacement parts some of which are expensive.

For the new user I always suggest purchasing a new lamp, or least a good used one that can be seen working before purchase.

The more experienced user who has a detailed knowledge of how these lamps work, spare parts, and time to tinker and test, can obtain a bargain. I recently paid 10 for a Tilley lamp that was beyond economic repair, but it was still worth 10 for the glass which would cost 20.

Gas lamps are much simpler but the fuel is expensive. The small throw away gas cartridges are an expensive way to buy gas and the large refillable cylinders though cheap to exchange have an expensive deposit or hire charge.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
I remember my father having one of these. Takes me back!

Wonder if it's tucked away in the back of my garage somewhere, I'll have to take a look at the weekend.

Hope that you can find it OK.
If you find the lamp but do not actually require it, why not sell it ? Prices vary from as little as 10 to as much as 100 depending on condition.
cubes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to go through/past all his tools first and it's a bit full of my own crap in there too!
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that production of new Tilley lamps has now resumed, they may be purchased for 149, Brass finish only.

Too much to hope that they might start making Tilley table lamps again I fear.
Good used Tilley table lamps sell for silly money these days, I saw one for several hundred pounds !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: