PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petition to get government to continue ban on Neonics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Petition to get government to continue ban on Neonics Reply with quote

Please sign this petition to get the government to continue the ban on the use of neonics to help save the bees, butterflies and some birds as well.

I have recently started bee keeping and have been doing a course run by our local bee keepers association and given by a commercial bee keeper. As he moves his bees every year onto oil seed rape fields I asked him if he had noticed any ill effects from the once neonic treated rape on his bees. He said that it had made no difference to his bees and he wasn't worried about whether or not neonics were used. Most commercial bee keepers have the same attitude.

I have signed the petition as I believe that we should be using less of the toxic chemicals anyway but it is worrying that the petitioners are quoting science when the topical evidence says that the science is wrong.

Large numbers of bees have not survived the winter in our area and the blame is being put on a bad summer last year and a late spring this year. There have been nearly sixty hives lost in our Association area alone out of, I think, about 120 members. Several members have lost all their two or three hives. Are neonics implicated in some way, or pesticides in general or is climate change the culprit?

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done.

PS you can get your own supply of neonics here http://www.diy.com/departments/provado-bug-control/228510_BQ.prd

So if anybody belongs to the halfwit group that thinks their insignificant little domestic trophy plant is worth poisioning the insect world for, that's where to shop. You can also get loads of glyphosate too. That way you can ruin the soil as well.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Petition to get government to continue ban on Neonics Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Are neonics implicated in some way, or pesticides in general or is climate change the culprit?

None are good for bees.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen that Bayer is proposing to take over Monsanto to form a monster corporation which could control sales of seed, fertiliser and pesticides to farmers from a monopoly position.

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done as well.

Just FYI - I had to give a silly presentation today. I gave two examples of brand recognition.

I used Apple as a brand that is well known and enjoys showing it off. The other example I gave was to show a bag of Roundup weed killer, and pointed out that the Monsanto logo is not easy to see - I had to point this out. The other one was to show an Xbox carton from 2010. The Microsoft logo was nowhere to be seen.

A bit off topic but there you go.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
I've just seen that Bayer is proposing to take over Monsanto to form a monster corporation which could control sales of seed, fertiliser and pesticides to farmers from a monopoly position.

Expect a name change too, a la Philip Morris.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: