PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm Spreading the word...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: I'm Spreading the word... Reply with quote

I'm starting a series of presentations at work (One of the Uk largest Architects offices)...

Here is my format...

Sustainability, Urban design and Architecture.

The U.K has begun this year importing natural gas following the depletion and drop of the north sea fields, and the price of fuel has repeatedly passed record levels. This means that the issue of 'sustainability' has never been more pressing. What are the implications of increasing fuel costs and dwindling resources to the build environment? What effect will energy scarcity have on the design of buildings, master plans and Architecture in general ?

A series of Presentations and discussions focusing on this issue.

Weds 10th August 2005 Main Board at 5.45 a video presentation of ' The End of Suburbia' 78 minutes

"Since World War II North Americans have invested much of their newfound wealth in suburbia. It has promised a sense of space, affordability, family life and upward mobility. As the population of suburban sprawl has exploded in the past 50 years, so too has the suburban way of life become embedded in the American consciousness.
But as we enter the 21st century, serious questions are beginning to emerge about the sustainability of this way of life. The End of Suburbia explores the American Way of Life and its prospects as the planet approaches a critical era.
As energy prices skyrocket in the coming years, how will the populations of suburbia react to the collapse of their dream? Are today's suburbs destined to become the slums of tomorrow? And what can be done NOW, individually and collectively, to avoid The End of Suburbia ?"

To be followed in the coming weeks by a Presentation by Simon Roberts, Senior Scientist, Arup

"As an internal Arup project, I have been doing research into primary energy sources in general and peak oil in particular. I have given an internal presentation on this (repeated for many of the Arup offices) and I am now preparing a version to be given externally.
I would be very happy to visit your practice and give a talk. In terms of an "Arup opinion", I am trying to give the best information to help people judge the risks of peak oil. Then to discuss some of the "solutions" from Arup's point of view."

To be followed by a video presentation of the film 'Peak oil -imposed by nature'
A U.K. focused documentary on the possibility of energy scarcity.

To be followed by a Discussion session, meeting future needs'

A discussion / Brainstorming session about the whether any action is required now to prepare for the future of the markets in which we operate.

Oh well... Here goes..
fishertrop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort !!

I hope it goes well.

I cannot see such an initative having any interest where I work Sad

Good on you for having the balls to attempt such a thing Exclamation
beev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Ballard! Building design is probably the main area where action taken now can help to avoid major problems in the future.

'Green' buildings have to be affordabe, widely available and attractive to consumers. How possible is that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: