PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spare wind energy heating a thermal store?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinytina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Spare wind energy heating a thermal store? Reply with quote

Hey, I am thinking of dumping as much power as possible from a wind turbine into a thermal storage tank, then run my central heating boiler through it. I am thinking of putting the return through the tank so that it should lower the times that oil heats the system. Also I was thinking of fitting temperature sensitive valves so if there is no wind I'm not heating the storage tank with oil. Am I nuts or do you think this will work?
Thanks
Tiny
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need this. They are always doing things like that. Alternatively http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8764&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Tinytina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks like lots on there. I get kinda blank stares as it doesn't fit what the salesmen want to sell me. Thank you
Any one tried this type of system - I live in a high wind area
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salesmen? They just have a package to get people to part with money. What you need is on the adjacent power switch topic, where you should delete the copy of your first post here.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What turbine are you using, what part of the country?
Tarrel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it would add to the cost, but you might also want to consider adding solar thermal panels for heating the store. These wil provide more heat during summer, when prevailing wind speed is lower.

Presumably you're looking at dumping your excess wind energy into the store, rather than wasting it through a dump load?
MatthewColon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrel wrote:
Obviously it would add to the cost, but you might also want to consider adding peimar solar for heating the store. These wil provide more heat during summer, when prevailing wind speed is lower.

Presumably you're looking at dumping your excess wind energy into the store, rather than wasting it through a dump load?

You have give good way for heating the store.. I will try to add solar panels and hope for some good results
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: