PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powerswitch letter-writing "club"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Powerswitch letter-writing "club" Reply with quote

I was looking through the Post Carbon Institute outpost manual (beta version) recently and came across quite a nice idea that I thought could be adapted for our purposes.

It suggests that writing letters to local (and national) papers is actually a very important activity for a campaign, citing the fact that policy makers tend to keep an eye on the letters pages to keep vaguely in touch with the zeitgeist.

I was thinking that we could have some kind of informal rota (or something) whereby volunteers write a letter in response to recent energy-related stories and make the text available on here. Then those of us in disparate regions simply copy and paste it into an email to send to our local papers. Local papers won't keep printing letters from the same people, so it will work better if we set up local rotas to send the letters, so to the paper, it looks like the issue is being raised by multiple contributors.

This making any sense?

For example (people whose names I've used - please don't think I'm trying to press-gang you - this is just for illustration purposes!)...

Big news story about gas prices. clv101 writes an article about it for his blog/UK oil drum site & then modifies it to make it read like a letter and posts it in this forum.

In Leeds, I copy it and send it to the Yorkshire Post letters page people.
In Bristol, Hatchelt copies it and sends it to the Bristol Evening Post.
In London, James sends it to the Evening standard.
etc...

The following week, there's a big story about oil prices. fishertrop writes a letter and posts it in here.

In Leeds, chubbygristle copies it and sends it to the Yorkshire Post
In Bristol, Heatherwitham copies it and sends it to the Bristol Evening Post
In London, Newmac sends it to the Evening standard

...and so on. Over time, you might start asking friends who are concerned about Peak Oil to join in to create the effect that even more people are writing to the papers.

Eventually, people who have read our letters start getting concerned and writing their own letters!

While we obviously can't expect them all to get published, it will reduce effort, maximise effect and mean that the letters are subject to peer review before being sent. It also means that the issue of Peak Oil may start to get noticed at a regional level, where it absolutely needs to be.

What do people think? Anyone up for joining in or at least giving it a try?
caspian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerswitch letter-writing "club" Reply with quote

Sounds like an excellent idea. I've been thinking about sending a peak oil related letter to one or two local papers.
GD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
Neily at the peak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic idea!

Lets go for it.

Neil
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Smile
DamianB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681
grinu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could send them to local councillors too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: