PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Day Motion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Early Day Motion Reply with quote

I highly recommend everyone writes to their MP to encourage them to sign the early day motion. http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/portal/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=945&Itemid=2

You can use http://www.writetothem.com, just type your letter in and off it goes.
snow hope

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to know Lembit Opik, so I have emailed him to ask if he will be supporting the motion.

I also happen to know one of the local newsreaders over here and when I was chatting to him recently at a party, I brought PO up. He hadn't heard of it despite being well read and on-the-ball. I soon filled him in and suggested he google Peak Oil to find out more. Will let you know his response when I next see him. Smile
tattercoats

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: EDM Reply with quote

I emailed our new MP, Kerry McCarthy, and sh's replied very promptly. I mentioned Powerswitch and ASPO in my mail, which was perhaps handy as she makes the (reasonable, I suppose) point that the EDM is 'vague' and raises an issue without suggesting specific actions.

Of course, that's partly the point... She goes on to say that she will look at the sites I mention and research the issue, which is hopeful.

At least it's a reply. I shall email her back, of course, and continue the dialogue.

At least she's listening.

Btw the mySociety site that hosts the writetothem facility has another fecet - registering to go on your MP's as-yet-non-existent newsletter, on the basis that the siet will tell teh MP it has 20 people waitign for democratic dialogue. If no reply is received, they will resend where there are 100... 200...

My partner tagged this 'aggressive democracy'.

I like it.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Lembit Opik nine months ago describing peak oil in
detail. It is quite possible that he never saw the email, it
may have been filtered out by a secretary as the ravings of a crank,
but it is equally possible that he read it and dismissed it himself.
He may not remember it or he may be like so many, in denial.
Sky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MP Chris McCafferty has written back and thanked me for pointing out the early day motion and has said she will sign up to it. She agrees that it is an important issue.

Yippie.
GD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Sanders of Torbay thanked me for bringing it to his attention. Said he will sign it this week Cool Cool Cool Exclamation
snow hope

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lembit came back to me and said he would be signing the early day motion after the parlimentary recess in October. Very Happy
newmac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote to my MP, Tessa Jowell a few months ago. I received a letter in response saying that she will raise the matter with Malcolm Wicks, the Minister of State for Energy and get back to me when she receives a response. (nothing yet).

My response from Tony Blair's Direct Communications Unit (1984 anyone?):

"The Prime Minister has asked me to thank you for your recent letter. Mr Blair is grateful to you for letting him have your views which he was interested to see."

They did however forget to add: "Having the distain for the democratic process, supreme arrogance and a strange religious righteous personnality trait, he will continue not listening to anyone else but will do whatever he wants."
johnathome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newmac wrote:
They did however forget to add: "Having the distain for the democratic process, supreme arrogance and a strange religious righteous personnality trait, he will continue not listening to anyone else but will do whatever he wants."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
peaky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the wheels grind slowly that's for sure - I received the following today from my (New Labour) MP for Brighton Kemptown, Des Turner:

"I am writing to inform you that following your letter of the 2nd August 2005 I have added my name to the list of signatories for Early Day Motion 419 on supplies of conventional crude oil."
DamianB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total is now 21, up from 18 in early August.

Breakdown by party:

Labour 15
LibDems 5
DUP 1

EDM419

Have you asked your MP to sign?
grinu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent another letter to Alan Milburn, my MP, asking him to sign, so we shall see what happens. Also copied it to Margaret Beckett and Alan Johnson (DTI) this time, who have both responded to previous letters.
caspian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grinu wrote:
Just sent another letter to Alan Milburn, my MP, asking him to sign, so we shall see what happens. Also copied it to Margaret Beckett and Alan Johnson (DTI) this time, who have both responded to previous letters.

I'm meeting with my MP (Ed Davey, Lib Dem) on Thursday to discuss peak oil (as mentioned in this thread). I'll ask him to sign the EDM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: